Mike and I have written several posts on marriage and our learning experiences along the way. If you are currently experiencing a broken heart, I encourage you to go read my post about my own heartache here, so that you know I am coming from a humble place when I write about Mike and I's marriage.
I can honestly say that having a healthy and supportive relationship is one of the biggest reasons I have been able to find success in different aspects of my life. Our marriage isn't perfect, but we do try pretty darn hard to make it be as good as it possibly can be. Whether you're dating, engaged, married, or looking for the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, I have found 10 crucial things that should be a part of every relationship.
10 Important Things To Strive For in Your Relationship
1. Open Communication- In past relationships, I'd be so afraid to let my boyfriend know if something was bothering me or if my feelings were hurt because I didn't want to cause any problems. I have learned that if you don't speak up, you'll never be heard. It's important that you are able to openly express your opinions, thoughts, desires, etc to your significant other. You need to be validated and know that how you feel matters. This causes more unity and trust.
2. Support- Do you and your significant other support each other or compete? Do you find jealousy in each other's accomplishments, or do you love when one of you finds success? If it was not for Mike's sacrifice's and support, The Shine Project would not exist today. Mike has supported and believed in me to take risks and has provided guidance and love along the way. It is important that your relationship supports you to reach your full potential and doesn't hold you back.
3. Fun- Continue to date each other no matter how long you've been together. There's enough things to stress about in life... have FUN together. Two weeks ago when we went to Dallas for work, we made sure that we blocked out a few hours to go to Six Flags before we came home. It was so much fun to just enjoy time with Mike. HAVE FUN!
4. Spirituality- Making God the center of our relationship has made all the difference. Involve Him.
5. Equality- If I was left to do all the housework and cook every night, our house would always look like crap and we'd be flying through boxes of cereal. It's unfair to put too much responsibility on one party. We equally share tasks around the house and in other areas of our life, and it makes things so much happier and easier.
6. Quiet- Having quiet time, even if it's 10 minutes a day, to talk to each other about how your days went, goals you have for tomorrow, etc, is so important so you can stay involved with each other's lives. Things get incredibly crazy around here, and if we didn't make time to talk about new projects and things going on, each of us would never know what the other person is doing.
7- Love- For a long time, I didn't really know what love was. Love each other. To me this means putting the other's needs above your own. If you're both doing this, then neither one of you will ever feel neglected or forgotten about. Hold to each other, sometimes you will have nothing else but one another.
8- Physical Contact- Cuddle, kiss, hold hands, be affectionate. It's easy to stop doing this after a while. Keep the romance alive people!
9- Goals- Mike and I often measure our relationship by seeing what we've accomplished and what goals we've met. To see your progress as a couple and individually during the time that you're together will help you realize your strengths and what you need to work on. Two is better than one when done the right way, and it's important to make sure you're utilizing both of your strengths to make goals happen.
You'll get out of your relationship what you put into it. If you're not yet married, DONT SETTLE. If you are married and not happy, figure out what you are not happy with and work together to meet both of your needs. The 9 suggestions above have really helped us grow together.
Our charity 2013 Shine Benefit is coming up on April 20th! If you're in Phoenix don't forget to buy your tickets here. The event is as Phx Fashion Week and you'll be getting your hair, brows, nails and makeup done all in the name of charity :)
AND we have two new tanks up for sale!
The Printed Palette designed our tanks and were so excited to see them on you for summer.
Click here to shop.